Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sewing Kit

My daughter was asked by a friend in college if she had a sewing kit he could borrow.  I'm embarrassed to say that she didn't have one.  Me, sending my kid off to school without a needle and thread.  So I decided to make both of them a sewing kit.  I know that I probably could have purchased one relatively inexpensively, but what fun would that be??!!

I started with a couple of Altoids tins I had saved, naturally.  I spray painted them with gloss black.  I wasn't too careful about getting it on the inside of the tin because I was going to line it with felt.  I cut felt to fit the inside top and bottom of the tins.


Next I cut a couple of small rectangles from felt to make a needle and pin "book".  I stitched the spine of this together by hand and added several sizes of needles, straight pins, and safety pins.

 
I filled some small zip lock bags with a variety of buttons.  My daughter's button bag, pictured above had a wide range of colors, while the one I filled for her friend had neutral colors.  Next I cut a small rectangle of cardboard and wrapped five different colors of thread around it - light beige, dark beige, white, black, and navy blue.  


Everything fit nicely inside the tin...but I don't have a picture to show that.

I wanted to make the outside of the tin a bit more interesting than just glossy black, so I added wording using a gold marker.

 

Since I had everything on hand, these little sewing kits didn't cost me anything.  And both my daughter and her friend appreciated them and have already put them to use!

Happy Crafting!

Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment